Most of the laws that affect vehicle tracking involve the privacy and protection of an employee
and their personal data. There are the two pieces of legislation that affect vehicle tracking,
The Human Rights Act 1998, and The Data Protection Act 1998.
Article 8 of the Act says that everyone has the right to respect for their private and family life, and their home etc. This is particularly important when considering vehicle tracking and your employees.
The Act states that personal data should be:
- Processed fairly and lawfully
- Obtained only for specified and lawful reasons
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Accurate and up to date
- Kept no longer than necessary, to fulfill it’s purpose
- Processed along the lines of the individual’s human rights
- Protected against unauthorised or unlawful use, loss or destruction
- Kept within the European economic area